As a kid I recall the old man raving on about his beloved Daiwa Black and Gold reels and how they were the best available. Fast forward twenty odd years and all my spin reels are blinged-up Daiwa’s. (Yes, I do spin fish when the fly is deemed unsuitable!).
Daiwa have just announced the release of their New Era fly reels. They claim to have some of the best drags available, and if my Steez or Exist Branzino are anything to go by, I would agree! They also appear to be the only interchangeable cartridge – fully machined aluminium fly reel on the market, which come with two spare colour-coded cartridges. Suitable from species such as trout and bream, to trevally and tuna. They are also corrosion resistant and saltwater friendly.
- Machined aircraft grade aluminium
- Reversible winding direction cartridge system
- 3 Large arbour colour coded aluminium cartridges
- Low glare anodized finish
- Extra large carbon washer disc drag
- Exposed spool rim for added control
- Quick change left/right system
- Protective case that holds the reel and 2 spare cartridges
- Counter balanced spool
- Saltwater friendly
I’m yet to personally lay eyes on these babies, but being rather loyal to my brands – I’m keen to check them out. You can find out more info from Daiwa’s Australian web page here